Sunday, June 10, 2012

Bull Creek Fugue

8"X10"
oil on linen canvas

When I read that Len Chmiel felt he would have been painting like Richard Diebenkorn had he not seen his work, I felt that it was a sign for me to try a new direction. I started college as a representational painter but was turned on to the abstract expressionists and pop artists. I remember my favorite teacher, Randy Shoults, chiding me in my junior year about all the reading I was doing and not working. It was a very inspirational and liberating time for a country boy living in Mississippi. When I moved to Arizona in the 80's, I went back to representational art while working in Joe Beelers bronze foundry in Sedona.  In the late 80's I was showing my abstract constructed paintings at Elaine Horwitch Galleries in Sedona, quite a reverse. I do that, I shift all over the place. I've learned to go with my emotions and simply shrug. Life is short.


No comments:

Post a Comment